Your browser does not support frames.
Fairmont Quasar Istanbul
* if applicable

Local Attractions

< back

Fairmont Quasar Istanbul is exceptionally centrally located making it an ideal base to explore Istanbul’s dazzling cultural mosaic and millennia of history. City icons such as the Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, Topkapı Palace, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are only 20 minutes by metro or a half-hour cab ride away. The hotel is also only half an hour by cab from the Istanbul Modern Art Museum and Dolmabahçe Palace. The Bosphorus Strait, lined with fashionable nightclubs and quaint historic villages, is just a 15-minute cab ride from the hotel.

Recently developed inside Bomonti's Historic Brewery, Bomontiada offers a perfect mix of culture, art, music, and food - all under the same roof. A safe bet when it comes to live music and entertainment in Istanbul, Babylon has opened a new branch in Bomontiada to replace the closed Asmalımescit venue. The building hosts Radio Babylon's studios as well. Following the concept of ''gastropub'', Populist has a wide choice of craft beers and appealing dishes. Another food spot is Kiva, where you can have Anatolian specialties for lunch and enjoy traditional meze in the night while listening to live music. If you feel like eating around the same table with different people and making new friends, Delimonti, with its Turkish food and a big ''community table'', is the place to go. For a relaxing break at any time of the day, Bookstore offers comfortable couches and a variety of coffee choices from early mornings to late nights. With its ''family size'' portions and its preference for natural, local produce, Kilimanjaro is the new bar and restaurant project by Pozitif. When the evening comes, the atmosphere warms up with live DJ sets.  Art and design aficionados will find their meeting point at Atölye İstanbul, the local branch of a global community of artists, designers, architects and innovators in general.

Galata Tower
The Galata Tower traces its origins back to the 6th century; however, its current appearance can be credited to a 1960s restoration, which rebuilt the remarkable copula after almost a hundred years without a top. According to the Seyahatname of Ottoman historian and traveller Evliya Çelebi, Hezarfen Ahmet Çelebi flew as an early intercontinental aviator using artificial wings for gliding from this tower over the Bosphorus to the slopes of Üsküdar on the Anatolian side, nearly six kilometres away in 1632.

Maiden Tower
The Maiden’s Tower is located 150-200 meters off the shore of the Salacak district in Üsküdar. Although it is not definite as to when the Maiden’s Tower was built, the tower’s architectural style is said by some sources to be from around 340 BCE. Previous names of the Maiden’s Tower were Damalis and Leandros. Damalis is the name of the wife of the king of Athens, Kharis. When Damalis died, she was buried on the shore, and the name Damalis was given to the Tower. It was also known during Byzantine times as “arcla” which means “a little castle”. After the conquest of Istanbul by the Ottoman Turks, the tower was pulled down and a wooden tower was constructed in its place. The wooden tower was destroyed by a fire in 1719. It was rebuilt from stone once again by the head architect of the city, Nevşehirli Damat İbrahim Paşa. The cone-capped part of the tower was taken away and a kiosk fitted with glass replaced it. The Maiden’s Tower has been used for many different purposes over time, such as a tax collection area from merchantman, a defense tower, and a lighthouse. During the cholera epidemic in 1830, it was used as a quarantine hospital and  radio station. During the Republic Period, it was again used as a light house for a little while. The tower has undergone renovations and presently functions as a restaurant open to the public owned by a private company.

Pierre Loti & Cable Car
The famous café entitled with the name of Pierre Loti, a famous French writer, is reached on getting to this ridge on which the perfect view of Golden Horn can be watched. The real name of Pierre Loti, who lived in Istanbul for a long time and was a real Istanbul lover, was Julien Viaud. The historical café is the most ideal place to watch this mentioned view. It is said that Pierre Loti used to come this café often, named as “Rabia Kadın Kahvesi” in those years, and write his novel “Aziyade” overlooking Golden Horn. Today, this district, still kept as an original Turkish settlement by being restorated, consists of many spaces serving as a tourist facility. The district is also mentioned in Evliya Çelebi’s Seyahatname as “Idris Köşkü Mesiresi”. There are many historical artifacts and building in Pierre Loti, commonly visited by tourists and travelers who come to Istanbul in 19th century. From Eyüp to Pierre Loti, you can use cable car service which lasts for 3 minutes and operates daily from 8 am until 11 pm.

Kadıkoy Fish Market & Moda District
Kadıköy Fish Market is a large market where you can find all kinds of fresh fish and seafood. There are also greengrocers, delis, pickle sellers and dried fruit and nut sellers at the fish market. It is a place definitely worth visiting to take few photos. Unlike the European side, Moda is a quiet haven, where locals walk down towards the seaside to have a meal at one of the cafés and restaurants or to take a walk by the Bosphorus. A very residential area, the neighborhood has also seen an influx of young people that have opened cafes and shops, or prefer the community feel of the area while their work takes them to the European side.